What is Information Literacy?
- As the American Library Association Presidential Committee on Information Literacy (January 10, 1989, Washington, D.C.) says “Ultimately, information literate people are those who have learned how to learn. They know how to learn because they know how knowledge is organized, how to find information, and how to use information in such a way that others can learn from them. They are people prepared for lifelong learning, because they can always find the information needed for any task or decision at hand.”
- ”… the ability to know when there is a need for information, to be able to identify, locate, evaluate, and effectively use that information for the issue or problem at hand.”
- is the set of skills needed to find, retrieve, analyze, and use information.
- is the ability to recognize the extent and nature of an information need, then to locate, evaluate, and effectively use the needed information.
- the abilities to recognize when information is needed and to locate, evaluate, effectively use, and communicate information in its various formats.
“Alexandru Ioan Cuza” University of Iași is the oldest higher education institution in Romania. Since 1860, the university has been carrying on a tradition of excellence and innovation in the fields of education and research. With over 26,000 students and 800 academic staff, 15 faculties and almost 200 study programs at Bachelor, Master and Doctoral level, the University enjoys national and international prestige and cooperates with over 286 univerisities world-wide. Its educational offers are highly diversified, including studies taught in English (mostly at Master and Doctoral level), jointly achieved in collaboration with partner universities from abroad, as well as courses created in cooperation with the business sector, which offers employment to the best of our graduates.
For the moment PhD Thesis provides the abstracts of nearly all UAIC dissertations completed since 2012. The database can be searched and sorted by keywords, author, PhD supervisor, title, year, doctoral school, domain and type of content.
The PhD Series of Doctoral Schools contains dissertations and abstracts from all doctoral schools (26 fields of research) defended at “Alexandru Ioan Cuza” University of Iași by the PhD students of our University. The PhD Series of Doctoral Schools was started in 2012 and it is available in online publication form.
International Thesis and Dissertation Search
- BASE (Bielefeld Academic Search Engine) is a registered OAI Service Provider run by the Bielefeld University Library. It provides a unified search interface to over 3000 OAI repositories. These repositories cover all academically relevant material, not just theses and dissertations.
- VTLS Thesis Search VTLS provides a dynamic search and discovery platform (driven by Chamo Discovery), which allows you to sort by relevance, title, and date. In the current implementation, faceted searches are available by language, continent, country, date, format, and source institution. Additional facets, such as subjects or departments, may be added if desired.These search engines harvest theses and dissertations from virtually all registered open-access repositories:
- Google Scholar
- Microsoft Academic Search
- Google Books
- Free ebooks collections
- American Doctoral Dissertations, 1933 – 1955
This index includes nearly 100,000 United States dissertations from 1933 through 1955. (The print index was compiled annually for the National Research Council and The American Council of Learned Societies by the Association of Research Libraries.)
- Biblioteca Digital Brasileira de Teses e Dissertações
A search tool for accessing ETDs produced in Brazilian universities.A portal developed jointly by the University of Chile, the Universites de Lyon, Montreal, and Alexandrie, and the University of Geneva for accessing full text ETDs from many countries, including Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, France, Hong Kong, Mexico, Peru, Spain, and the United States.A discovery service for open access research theses awarded by European universities.This portal provides access to ETDs and research publications written at 26 institutions in Scandinavia.This British Library portal provides access to virtually all ETDs awarded by UK universities, and offers a scan-on-demand service for paper theses.
- France – Theses.fr
All Hong Kong theses since 1941.This search portal provides access to ETDs produced in the Netherlands, as well as access to a variety of other research and data sets.This search portal provides access to ETDs produced in South Africa.
The National Library of Australia harvests ETD Metadata from Australian universities and provides a search services through its portal.
A new, emerging, open access model for United States theses and dissertationsBoth of these repositories are run by ProQuest. Both include most recent North American ETDs and selective coverage for other regions of the world.Many university libraries provide password access to the first repository, which is the most comprehensive but consists mostly of theses that are NOT Open Access. The link above also provides access for individuals without a connection to a research library.The second repository is ProQuest’s repository of Open Access theses and dissertations.The RCAAP’s mission is to promote, support and facilitate the adoption of the open access movement in Portugal. RCAAP The project aims to: increase the visibility, accessibility and dissemination of academic activity and Portuguese scientific research, facilitating the management and access to information about scientific production and integrate Portugal into a set of international initiatives. This portal offers a union catalog with digital contents from more than 30 institutions.A union catalog of Canadian theses and dissertations, in both electronic and analog formats, is available through the search interface on this portal.
German dissertations. The www.dissonline.de information system provides a wide range of information on the electronic publishing of dissertations and post-doctoral theses. Information is held which is of relevance for authors, libraries, scientific institutions and publishing houses.
- DISSERTATIONS.SE (Sweden) Doctoral PHD dissertations from Sweden. In English.
- This collection of MIT Theses in DSpace contains selected theses and dissertations from all Massachusetts Institute of Technology departments.
DSpace@Cambridge is the University of Cambridge’s institutional repository, preserving and providing access to content created by members of the University.